Monday 10 June 2013

Choosing Trim Colour

Is "Cloud White" CC-40 too white?


Last summer, we ripped out the broken microwave and cupboard above and had the tile continued up to the ceiling behind the new hood fan. Right away I noticed something weird with the colour. But was in the white trim that made the tile look dirty, or the yellow paint? The trim and ceiling are Cloud White CC-40.

Oh, and the hood fan installer is coming back to make it snug to the ceiling.

Here is the whole kitchen. I am wondering whether to rip down more cabinets and put up more tile, or just get glass fronts in the upper doors to lighten up the room and cut the brown. By the way, new cabinet crown is on the way and so is green paint for the walls: Peaceful Garden.
Something like this.
Here's a little something I found on Pinterest from Elle Decor. These cabinets are lighter than mine but have glass tops and green walls.


Can you see the tile looks creamier below and browner above? Is that the yellow paint or shadows from the cabinets?

The painted moulding scrap is "White Down" CC-50, which I am considering repainting all the trim in my house (the same trim I just painted "Cloud White" last year!)  The tiny paint chip beside it is "Cloud White."  Do you think White Down is a better match with the tile or a tinge too yellow? Worth repainting everything? That's what my Benjamin Moore colour consultant told me.  That is a lot of work or money!



Oh, and one other problem: I have vinyl windows all over the house and the "Cloud White" trim blends into them, making them look not so cheap, I think.  Match the trim to the windows or the tile? Have two whites in one open concept house?  All I know is the yellow has to go.

These questions are too hard for me, unsolved after a year of pondering, and a consultation with a paint colour expert. I have decided to take it to the top and have emailed my question to Ask Maria (Maria Killam) of the famous Colour Me Happy blog.  Watch for her answers there and the results here.



1 comment:

Eugene said...

I think White Down is a better choice for the tiles, although Cloud White also looks good. Your vinyl windows would still look great no matter what color of the trim you put there, as long as it's white. If you choose Cloud White and get rid of the yellow paint, I think your vinyl windows would match with it better.

Roof Masters